Hey TV freaks! We are BACK!
Just a reminder, since it's been quite some time since we last graced you with our presence (almost 4 weeks eeeeek), Pilot Party is a podcast hosted by myself and my hub-bot 2000, Daniel O'Shoney. In each episode, we discuss a different pilot episode of a television series -- the good, the bad, and the what-in-the-hell-is-this.
And in this week's episode, we have really gone and set ourselves up for failure, folks!
We're talking about Cheers, widely regarded as one of the greatest shows in television history, with a pilot episode that is arguably one of the best of all time.
And here we are, just a couple of nobodys, sitting around talking about it as though we have the authority to do so.
Still, I'm not going to lie, we had a hell of a time recording this episode. It may be my favorite one yet, and while we certainly aren't television scholars or anything -- I don't know -- I like to believe that we can hang.
So for those uninitiated, Cheers is a sitcom set in a Boston bar ("Cheers") that follows the relationships that form between the staff and colorful regular customers. The show premiered on NBC in 1982 (on the podcast, we accidentally said it started in 1987, so don't throw garbage at us when you spot us on the street) and ran for ELEVEN SEASONS after that until 1993. So you know, obviously people really dug it.
And for the record, I am one of those people. This is one of my life's favorite shows, and in this episode of Pilot Party, Daniel and I are diving deep into what makes this pilot, this cast, and the writing of this show in general so particularly special. From Ted Danson's unbelievable hair, to Shelley Long's incredible comedic timing, to Norm's veiled alcoholism -- there is just so much to take in.
Before you listen to the episode, just a heads up, there are DEFINITELY spoilers ahead. We couldn't contain our opinions to just this one episode. I mean, could you?
If you need a quick refresher on what goes down in this pilot, here's a short synopsis you can read real quick. And if you just want to go ahead and watch the episode before diving in, feel free to do so on Netflix, baby!
Alright, are you ready to go to a place where everybody knows your name? And they're always glad you came?
Well, I'm not sure we can help you with that first part, but we are sure as hell glad you came to the podcast today! Here's your episode, friend:
By the way, this is likely going to be the last time we share show notes on my personal blog, so if you want to stay connected to what's happening on the podcast, here's a couple of things you can do:
1) Subscribe on iTunes! (You'll have episodes delivered straight to your phone. It's a miracle.)
2) Visit us at pilotpartypodcast.com (right now, it redirects to this site, but it will soon have its own home, promise)
3) Follow us on Soundcloud (because why not?)
4) Follow us on Twitter! We just got a Twitter account for the show! (@pilotpartypod)
5) Follow us on all of our social media (@christyoshoney and @danieloshoney)
And if you're really digging what you're hearing from us, here's some other stuff you can do:
1) Review us on iTunes! It helps people find the podcast and learn more about our show and it makes our hearts grow three times their size!
2) Spread the word! Don't hide this podcast under a bushel! Let it shine!
3) Shoot us an email and let us know what pilots you'd love to listen to us cover!
Alright, folks, that's all I have for you. Until next time! (which will be much sooner than this last time, promise!)